Monday, May 22, 2006

They're Back!

It's getting late; but, I hate to surrender to sleep. I'm not sure why. However, I think I was wired this way. I'm told I was the hardest of my siblings to get to bed at night. Mom tells me as a toddler I would do the "I'm thirsty, etc." thing. As a child I knew that if I were very, very quiet and sat behind my dad's peripheral vision on the floor while he was watching TV, sometimes he would forget I was up and I would be able to stay up past my bedtime. Our family home had an eat-in kitchen, a living room, bath and 2 bedrooms. There was no hiding out in another place in the house back then. There was the unfinished basement... but true to many childhood basements, it was very scary at night. That was not an option.

Perhaps I don't want the day to slip away from me. It was a wonderful day. Started at work in the Word - one of those days when I see just how absolutely lost I would be without a God who loves me in spite of who I am. I had my first yoga class (I'll have to write more on that later). I had lunch with peers. I am putting together the decorations for an event on Wednesday night. I love to entertain! I got home around 5:30 and had leftovers to warm up. I love when that happens! It was a gorgeous evening. I sat on my deck in the shade having dinner and listening to the ball games nearby and the birds singing whatever they sing. I watered my flowers and 'dead-headed' which is grooming gardening style. You would think that would be enough joy for any one person in this world of struggle. But I had one more gift to receive.

I lifted my head and saw my first humming bird at my feeder this year. As soon as he flew off, she came along. After that I'm not sure who or how many showed up, but the line at the Sugar Bar was steady. One even danced a jig over my head as though to say it was as happy to be back as I was to have him.

Next, I'll search my photos and find the ones I took of humming birds back before 1980 and scan them to share with you. As usual, you had to be there to get the full effect, but as it is with God, a veiled experience is better than none.

No comments: