Don't get me wrong. I am a strong confident person who happens to be female. I'm not a ditzy airhead or a mind adrift without an anchor. I struggle with some women who don't appreciate their feminine and unique design but rather sell it short for attention. In other words it grieves me to see the progress we have made in gaining respect as women just to have that growth tossed aside in an attempt to gain power by the use of raw sexuality. I get labeled and lumped together with a group of women who really don't understand just how great it is to be us. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my sexuality, but don't want to me known only for it.
I've got an example of why it is great to be a girl (besides pointy toed shoes). Just this past weekend I had the privilege to have a woman playing a harp in my home. That's right, in my very own living room with friends. What a way to start the weekend. The soft fluid notes from the strings of the harp were so relaxing. At one point I closed my eyes and heard the soft trickle of water from a fountain in my kitchen (gift from a close friend), the music from the harp and birds singing outside. How does a moment like that not get appreciated? I thought to myself "I love this". Life has so many wonderful moments to be savored if only we would notice them! Of course life also has a measure of pain. I shared the morning of the harp experience with a group of people and the guys just kind of nodded their heads and barely acknowledged the event. How do you not get just how cool that is? Another thing, I had an event that needed a celebration to wrap it up. There were only women attending and so I gave each of the 29 of us bubbles. What an image I have in my memory. Those iridescent globes floating and then disappearing only to be replaced by a dozen more of them equally beautiful. It was fun, a moment to savor. But mention it to a guy and you get a glazed look. Granted, I think guys who are poets or write songs get it, but generally speaking, all kinds of stuff goes over their heads. There is just so much to life to experience and I think women are uniquely designed to embrace it if we just noticed and valued it. I love having that type of wiring. I love the moments of life that art and living collide.
Today I am grateful for: EJ&S, girlfriends, the gift of hearing and the color green, real joy and knowing God
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good post!
I think the beauty of moments can get lost in the verbal sharing of them with folks who weren't there to experience it. Like staff meetings. I think we should have a bubbles and a harpist on staff appreciation day.
Post a Comment