1) Quite some time ago, my son and a co-worker let me in on an "inside" joke that internet installers and cable trouble shooters know all about. A term that is used when someone tech-challenged calls in for repair when in fact a button on the remote has been pushed inadvertently, and no repair is necessary other than pushing the right button. That term, I D TEN T took me as quite humorous. However, it was only this week that I realized just how humorous I thought it was. My house mate was having cable/tivo problems. It took me just 15 seconds to recognize I didn't understand a thing she was saying and I called my extremely smart son. In the course of the call between house mate and son, I threw out the witty phrase,'perhaps it is the I D TEN T'. (insert my giggle here). After said call was complete, my house mate mentioned my son commenting 'she sure likes that phrase we mentioned ONCE to her.' Knowing the behind the scenes expression of face and tone (as only a mother can know), I realized I was much more a dork than cool using the 'inside' term.
2) My Brain-nerd post drew the attention of a young, hip and seemingly cool guy and he posted a hilarious comment. It took no time what-so-ever for me, now a nerd and a dork, to fire back a reply of equal humor. Quite proud of my wit I shared the volley with a friend. She in turn noted that there isn't much of chance that young hip and seemingly cool guy would ever read it because of the way I replied. Then, I heard the faint echo of a gong, from a very old (70's) show called appropriately the Gong Show. Make that one nerd, dork, and gong.
3) Next, and I must admit even I caught this one. Unfortunately, not in time to catch it before it left my mouth. My beautiful, young and truly hip friend began knitting, this is a very trendy craft enjoying a come back today, and has been busy creating a sweater. From here on she shall be known as bythf. I mentioned my move to digital camera earlier in this post, well, I realize I need a case for it as I toss it into my purse quite casually. I said to bythf, say you know what you could knit next? A case for my camera, so I can throw it in my purse whenever. "Ah, they sell them" replies bythf. "They do" says me? And just for a moment and not on purpose came a flash of expression across her face that can only be described as... Are you kidding me? I know she didn't mean it because it was a flash of an expression. Not a jaw dropping ARE YOU KIDDING ME expression that I am prone to do. And ta-daa, there it was the third strike loud and clear: geek.
It's okay, I embrace my nerd, dork, gonged and geek-ness. It's a small price to pay for the rich life I live today. Rich in friends, family, experience; but, not cool, hip, trendy or young. It's okay.

This photo touches my heart. I love it.

5 comments:
I am still laughing OUT loud...this is classic. I am sorry that I make you feel like a nerd...but it must be said you are the best dressed, fabulous shoe owning, flexible fun loving house mate nerd i know. If those 3 instances are the only ones that make you feel like you're middle-aged then I think you are doing a superb job of stooping your audience with your quick witted, fashion aware, lover of all thing televised self.
Ahh...and I amend my last post. To be honest...I'm not sold that you are middle aged. You may be my friend Rachel in disguise. You're doing a good job of holding in your urge to bedazzle things!
hahahhaha...
I love that I made the comment section of this post. Mary...I do feel as if you and I are a kindred spirit...BUT I do believe that you will always be cooler than be, so you'll always have that to feel good about!
also...I think your housemate is only learning to knit so that she can once again be better at something than me.
: )
p.s...next time I'm in Minnesota I'll bring my bedazzler...it'll be great!
Ah Mary - you are actually quite inspirational and I may just have to get a cameraphone in the very near future and ditch my "land" line. When did they change regular old telephones to land lines?
Just imagine...a bedazzled cell-phone holder???? (someone was actually selling them at the Eco-craft fair this year.)
Signed the almost close to being middle-ager and truly culturally clueless.
Thank you fellow blogging friends. I feel much better now. But I have to run as I need to turn on my heating pad. You know, to keep me warm.
Post a Comment