Monday, February 19, 2007

Garden Friend

I appreciate what I have learned from Lindsey, my house mate. She is wonderful at letting her friends know how much she appreciates them. She is the inspiration of this post.

This past Sunday, I had one of the greatest compliments in my life. A woman came up to ask me if I had purchased my cookie dough (a fund raiser). She said, "Nora, have you gotten your cookie dough"? As soon as she said that, I checked myself from correcting her and my first thought was, if I could be mistaken for anyone, I would want it to be my friend, Nora. So, I smiled and I didn't share my name as I tried to explain that I make my own cookies with my favorite five year old.

The cookie dough pusher doesn't have children and she certainly doesn't have grandkids and all she did was look at me like I was speaking a foreign language. I hope she has the chance to have a favorite five year old and, if she doesn't already have one, a friend like Nora.

Nora and I share similar life challenges and wounds in our pasts. She loves to garden and I love my pots of plants. She is dignified and has done an incredible job raising her sons. She prays for me and I pray for her. We laugh at each other and ourselves. We often know when the other needs a call. Her style is unique and wonderful. I admire her ability to use color. We are touched by things of the past, a dish towel, for example will bless us. She is graceful and beautiful. We share the same language about God. I am not afraid of exposing my dark side to her and her support is immeasurable.

So, even if the similarity is only mistakenly called by her name, I'll take it. It was one of the greatest compliments, outside of being called a Daughter of the King, I've received.

I hope to share about my other friends this year. Perhaps it will unfold to be the year of friends.

Thus, before I start to cry, I will sign off for now and try to fit in a little reading before Heroes and Studio 60.

No comments: