Saturday, February 24, 2007

I Can Do it Myself

Sometimes being broke is a good thing. Yes, I've been on this for awhile, sorry if you've heard it before. But I just had another very, very fun evening and the expense was shared 6 ways. Friends came over last night for another Mystery Dinner. All assigned ingredients that made up a menu that I hoped would be generic enough for every one's palate and able to be assembled and prepared before the dawn of the next day.

I have to admit there is some unusual thrill I get in knowing that the attendees have no idea what they are going to have and I know they are trying to figure out what 2 lemons and a can of soup can make. If there are ingredients that will be a give away like pasta, I assign that to myself. I smile all week long at the chance to surprise everyone.

Once everyone was over, I handed out the menu and recipes and instructed them that I would prepare the appetizer and then they were to make the dinner and dessert and set the table. In the process of making the appetizer I give them a quick tour of my kitchen and warn them of what cupboard something is sure to fall out. Fun, fun, fun!

Then I sit back and watch how it all unfolds. These folks may know each other or are just acquaintances. So observing who does what is very interesting. This team was very confident and started in before I even finished the starter. Angie had the hardest task, Tina was great support to the team filling in gaps, Bren went right to work at the stove and stayed there, Beejay and Scott worked as a team.

My kitchen is small. We bumped into each other and it got warm. The temperature wasn't the only warmth, in close quarters, with a common goal and a safe place the warmth of friendship grew. I loved it.

Now, in evaluating myself I do not give me as high points as the others. Remember, I was to sit back and let others go. I give myself a B- or C+. I remember telling Tina there was a garlic press, when in fact she was doing it fine without the press. I checked the simmering onion and garlic, just to be sure. I was in the midst, I set the timers, I helped dish up. I don't think I was too intrusive and hopefully a support rather than bossy. The event lasted longer than any other, telling me I didn't make them too uncomfortable because they all hung out. But it was really hard not to be in the middle of everything, doing things my way and not having the experience of 'doing it all'.

My mom loves to do it herself. She loves to serve others; that would be a positive spin I could put on it. But to be REALLY honest I don't want to miss anything, I want to do things. I like accomplishment. So, this is good for me and I will be sure to do it again, soon.

By the way, the food was great!


Preparing the Chicken Escalopes with Lemon and Prosciutto


Chopping, dicing and pressing

Note, any red noses are a result the temperature, not beverages...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If we were a construction team (which if you think about it, we were) you make a perfect forewoman! As my grandma used to say - many hands do make light work. Your suggestions helped and I got to use a new gadget too...I've seen that garlic press tool on the food network but haven't purchased one for my own kitchen. Thanks for hosting a lovely evening. I'm going to have to make that lemon cream cheese dip for my next party...mmmmmmm tasty.

Mary said...

Thanks Tina! I'm thinking of making that dip for the 'word party' on Monday night.