On Friday as I gathered stuff and packed and fussed, my 'self talk' was something like: "Okay, I don't want to snack on all the goodies that will be there. After all, it's sugar and fat. I am strong enough to not eat for heaven's sake. Really, I make my own decisions on what and when I put food in my mouth. Thus, I am bringing apples. I like apples; they taste good. When I slice apples and eat them it takes a long time to finish one and I even enjoy them when I do that. Apples are good for me." I was really proud of my healthy decision, pat pat pat on the back.... Unfortunately, it is Monday and I have not yet had an apple. Chicago mix popcorn, yes; brownies, yes; Brie cheese and crackers, yes; M&M's, yes; pistachios, yes; Fiddle Faddle, yes; Old Dutch Rippled potato chips, yes; Gooey, drippy caramel butterscotch bars, YES, YES YES!!!! I am starting South Beach tomorrow, I promise!
I was packing for the weekend. It was the annual women's retreat. It's really something to live in community and to set aside 36 hours to spend with sisters in Christ (some, actually most I didn't know). It was powerful. Although at night I heard snoring and couldn't sleep, in the morning I heard beautiful music as we gathered and sang our hearts out to Jesus. We laughed at the humor of the video speakers. We cried as our hearts softened and began to have light shed on the wounds we leave in the dark. So, needless to say it was a weekend to remember. There's just no way to share it all.
I took the day off today and had the great fun of going to the Bibelot Shop on Como with my friend, Diane. I wanted to see if a jacket I saw on sale there a week or two ago was still there. Yes, it was. I had to buy a size larger than I wanted (it was the last one, NOT because of the snacking). It was ninety percent off, yes, you read that right. I bought a $120 very cute jacket and an $80 skirt for Twenty Bucks! I love that! The skirt is a rich tapestry looking fabric of warm tones and I plan on wearing it to church on Sunday, check it out. $80 for eight!
Things I'm grateful for: Candlelight worship services with women, the sense of taste and sales.
Monday, March 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment