Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Somebody had to do it


That somebody would be me. I have been into baking lately. So, when my lovely sister, (Carol, above with me a couple of years ago) offered to host my birthday party, I offered to bring the cake. I wanted to bake mom's mayonnaise cake with fudge frosting. Yes, that is right - mayonnaise. A dense, chocolate cake that uses mayo in place of egg and oil. For those of you who don't know, that is what mayo is... egg and oil. The "frosting" mom would use is homemade fudge. Magnificent. The frosting/fudge seeps down the sides of the pan between the wall and the cake making the end pieces the desirable ones. I remember as a kid carefully choosing the piece with the most "frosting" trying very hard not to touch a piece and having to take it through default. It turned out almost as good as mom's. My nephew Jeff ate 3 pieces. I brought home the last 4... I ate the last of the cake. All of it, with a smile on my face, even scraped the sides of the pan. You can't waste mayonnaise cake, it's just not right. So, alas, my journey to South Beach has been delayed. Soon, before the shorts and tank top season I will take that trip.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Oh but cake is worth the delay!!!